As we continue to face challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, KMS seeks to support our membership with a variety of resources. The Federation of State Professionals’ Health Programs (PHP) and the KMS PHP has compiled the following list of free resources available that will hopefully assist you in maintaining your own health. If you need additional resources or emotional support, the KMS PHP staff can be reached 24 hours a day at (785) 235-2383.
Free Online Exercise Resources:
- Les Mills (e.g., Body Pump, Body Flow, Body Combat, Barre, etc.) on-demand exercise classes [currently available free]: https://watch.lesmillsondemand.com/at-home-workouts/season:1
- Peloton online [currently available free] : https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/16/21182267/peloton-workout-app-trial-at-home-subscription
- “50 Best Free Online Workout Resources”: https://makeyourbodywork.com/how-to-exercise-at-home/
- Whole Life Challenge [currently offering a free pop-up challenge for individuals or teams): https://www.wholelifechallenge.com/popup/
- Down Dog App (Yoga, HIIT, Barre, 7-min exercise) [currently free with .edu email address]: https://www.downdogapp.com/
Free Meditation Resources:
- Headspace [currently free for healthcare professionals with NPI#]: https://www.headspace.com/health-covid-19
- Ten Percent Happier App [currently free for healthcare professionals]:
- For a complimentary subscription, redeem the gift code (HEALTHCARE) at https://redeem.tenpercent.com. Then log into the mobile app on your Apple or Android device using the same Ten Percent Happier account and all the subscription contents of the app will be unlocked.
- Or just go to their Coronavirus Sanity Guide to access relevant free content/resources without creating an account: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Calm.com [currently offering free resources]: https://www.calm.com/blog/take-a-deep-breath
- Insight Timer Meditation App [free]: https://insighttimer.com/
- Stop Breathe & Think App: http://app.stopbreathethink.org
- Healthy Minds App [currently available free]: https://tryhealthyminds.org/
Mental Health Resources:
- Crisis/Emergency counseling by phone: 24 hours a day, 7 days/week
- Kansas Medical Society Professionals’ Health Program: (785) 235-2383
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: Call (800) 273-8255 or online chat: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
- Nacional de Prevencion del Suicidio (en espanol): (888) 628-9454 (toll free)
- Tips and Resources from Mental Health America: https://mhanational.org/covid19
- 7 Crucial Research Findings to Help Deal With COVID-19: https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2020/03/covid-19-research-findings
- Online Medical Education for Residents/Students (Nutrition, Physician Well-Being, Non-pharmacologic pain management, etc.): https://www.appd.org/file-uploads/17400/Online%20Elective%20for%20Residents%20&%20Med%20Students.pdf
- Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Coursera: www.coursera.org
- Lynda.com: www.Lynda.com
- Free classes from Ivy League Schools: https://totallythebomb.com/heres-the-entire-list-of-ivy-league-courses-you-can-take-online-for-free-due-to-school-closings
- Consider keeping a COVID-19 Journal to remember this historical event (some prompts below):
- How has this impacted your daily life?
- How has it affected your view of the important work you do?
- How has spending time at home with family influenced your interactions and feelings toward your family? OR How has spending time home alone influenced your interactions and feelings toward your family?
- What has happened during this crisis that has surprised you in a positive way? What has happened during this crisis that has surprised you in a negative way?
- What can you be grateful for in this moment?
If you need additional resources or emotional support, the KMS PHP staff can be reached 24 hours a day at (785) 235-2383.