The following bills of interest to medicine are being considered by policymakers during the current session of the Kansas Legislature.
- Enacts licensure of anesthesiologist assistants (AAs) under the Board of Healing Arts.
APRN independent practice
- Removes the requirement for a collaborative practice agreement between an APRN and a physician.
Expedited partner therapy
- Allows for the use of expedited partner therapy to treat sexually transmitted disease.
Health Care Stabilization Fund
- Senate Bill 350 (support)
- Amending healthcare stabilization fund coverage requirements and membership on the board of governors and providing for the dissolution of the fund under specified circumstances.
- Senate Bill 325 (support)
- Requiring that certain business entities be Kansas corporations for coverage by the healthcare stabilization fund.
- House Bill 2348 (oppose)
- Increases the liability limits for the Health Care Stabilization Fund.
Informed consent: antipsychotic medications
- Requires written informed consent prior to administering antipsychotic medications to an adult care home resident.
- Expands KanCare, the state's Medicare managed care program, to include individuals earning up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level.
- Expands the naturopaths' scope of practice including allowing the prescribing of controlled substances.